Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TIMBER

For all of my Walker relatives out there or for anyone who has ever driven through Othello, you are most likely aware of the pole that has towered over the middle of town for the last 50 years or so. My grandpa put the antenna pole up as a way of communicating by two-way radio with the guys driving truck for his concrete company and I think my grandma said that he could talk to guys as far away as California. Growing up, we grandkids knew the pole as the basketball hoop holder and the jail for playing Jailbreak, but for the last several years it hasn't really served any purpose at all. Well, the pole came down last week...I think it was bittersweet for some and a huge relief for others (like the neighbors and my grandmother and now me). The day the pole came down, my grandma commented to my mom that she would finally be able to sleep in peace after worrying about that pole for MANY years.

6 comments:

Eric and Carrie said...

Wow, I can't believe that it's gone, kinda looks bare without it, but I'm sure that'll pass. I'm glad that now you and gma will be able to sleep soundly.

Eric and Carrie said...

Did Jim get to take the wood and mill it? You could get Todd to make lots of cool furniture out of it!

Ashley said...

Thats sad!! But I am glad it is a relief for so many people especially you.

Brooke said...

This is a historical event for sure. Jailbreak . . . good times.

jana said...

I hope me and all the other little walkers in town can still find your house without it. I am surprised how huge it looks taking up the whole front yard.

Esther K said...

These are amazing pictures! I grew up with that pole as my landmark for home in case I was ever lost! I'm happy to see it taken down! LOL!